On Demand | Best Period: May, June, Sep|
Hiking the Balkan Mountains - Botev Peak and Heaven's Waterfall
This two-days hiking trip will take you the the highest peak in the Balkan Mountains - Botev and the highest permanent waterfall on the Balkan peninsula known as the Heaven's Waterfall. Welcome to Bulgaria!
Час и място на тръгване
On Demand | Best Period: May, June, Sep
Balkan Mountains, Balkan Mountains
Join us in this adventure and enjoy the beauty of the Balkan Mountains - the source of the name of the Balkan peninsula. Clear horizons, breathtaking views and abundance of colors and scents - all this is revealing for you with every step you take in that peace of heaven.
The Balkan mountain range runs 560 km from the Vrashka Chuka Peak on the border between Bulgaria and Serbia eastward through central Bulgaria to Cape Emine on the Black Sea. The highest peak is Botev at 2,376 m, which makes the mountain range the third highest in the country, after Rila and Pirin. In Antiquity and the Middle Ages the mountains were known by their Thracian name: the Haemus Mons. Its current name was brought to the region in the 7th century by Bulgars who applied it to the area, as a part of the First Bulgarian Empire. In Bulgarian, the word balkan (балкан) means "mountain".
This beautiful mountain is a home of the highest waterfall on the peninsula - Heaven's Waterfall. Its waters fall from 124.5 meters, splashing and singing.
Our adventure will start in Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria. From there we will drive to Kalofer, a touristic town in the outskirts of Balkans Mountain, popular with its traditional architecture. This exiting program includes variety of hiking experience and breathtaking views.
- 06:30 - We meet in front of Alexander Nevski Cathedral and we head towards the town of Kalofer and the area Panitsite (The Plates).
- We get prepared and we kick off our Balkan adventure.
- Our goal for the day is to reach the mountain hut called Rai (Heaven). The trail takes us through beautiful forests, paths and meadows. We see wild horses on our way and we pass tiny rivers.
- We reach the mountain hut. It is meters away from the Heaven's Waterfall. We will stop for the night there. Before the evening comes we will go to the waterfall to enjoy its beauty.
- Dinner and stay at the hut.
- We wake up early, we take breakfast and filled with energy we head towards Botev Peak, 2,376 m.
- Our way goes through Tarzan's Path. It no surprise why it is called that way. We pass a tiny steep path that offers not only a physical challenge for our bodies but an aestetic pleasure for our eyes as it reveals beautiful views towards the valley below.
- After this adrenaline path follows a moderate hiking trail that takes us to the peak.
- Reaching that highest point of the Balkans Mountain, we take some time to contemplate the beauty of nature and capture our emotions and the view in photos.
- We take lunch and filled with new sources of energy we go down to Rai hut.
- We take a short break there and then we continue on our way back to the starting point.
- 20:30 - we are back in Sofia and it is time to say "Goodbye".
Price per Person
Guiding fee and mountain insurance:
One Person: 190 EUR
Group of Two: 125 EUR
Group of Three: 85 EUR
Group of Four and above: 65 EUR
Aditional prices per Person
Transportation: 35 EUR
Accomodation: 10 EUR
Level of experience: Advanced
Fitness Level: Fit
Accommodation: Mountain hut
Equipment: Participants should bring the following items with them: hiking boots, rucksack (35-45L), trekking poles, water and windproof jacket, rain cover, sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, warm hat and gloves, water bottle (1.5L), travel liner (optional), torch, personal first aid kit.
Your Mountain Guide
Borislav Dimitrov is an experienced certified mountain guide and chairman of Go-Go- Adventures – association for alternative and adventure tourism. He is passionate mountaineer and would literary go miles to find the best adventure treks for you. Safety always comes first for Bobi, so you should feel assured that your trip will be handled with care and professionalism in order to have the best hiking experience possible.